Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Freshening Up Our Toddler Snacks

Here's a word you hear all too often as a parent: "snacks," or "'nacks" as my son says it. On the one hand, I think it's adorable how my son says it and how my two little ones light up with delight at the sheer prospect of something as simple as "snack time." On the other hand, I cringe almost every time snack time rolls around because we're definitely stuck in a rut.

My son will eat blueberries until his poops are blue, literally. Both of them will knock back peanut-butter pretzels, cheddar bunnies, raisins or cut up apples, but that sort of brings us to the end of the line. We need more snacks to choose from!!!

This is especially important because my two year old essentially lives on snacks. G-d forbid the boy would deign to eat more than a single bite of a meal, especially dinner. Tell him something is a "snack" though and he'll power it back!

I've been troving for snack ideas and came across a few really good ones. Wholesome Toddler Food lists some great ideas like Energy Balls with grated carrots, yogurt cereal bars and baked apples with muesli.
This site, Alli 'n Son, lists waffle sandwiches as a lunch idea, but I think it would make an equally good snack. Also, I like the simplicity of the idea of Kix and raisins as a to-go snack that's listed on the "Snacks for Toddlers" site.

Do you have any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment