Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Menu Plan Monday 2 - Week of July 26


Yummy Healthful Meals from All Over the World 

Most of these recipes are relatively fast. They're all fresh and healthful.

This is what our family will be eating this week:

Special Notes: Some links point to the book that I'm getting the recipe from with page number after.

Monday: Asian Salmon, Brown Rice Pilaf, (both adapted from "You on a Diet" p. 285 - adaptation: no garlic) Sautéed Spinach
Follow Up Note: Super easy to cook. Used leftovers in salad the next day. 

Tuesday: Rice Noodles with Vegetable Chili Sauce (p. 170 The Detox Cookbook)

Follow Up Note: Ended up cooking on Thursday night. Took about 20 minutes of prep, 45 minutes total. Very easy and delicious.
Wednesday: Crockpot Sweet Potato Andouille Sausage Stew from Gabi Moskowitz's Mom at Broke Ass Gourmet (leftover vegetable chili sauce over leftover brown rice pilaf for me)
Follow Up Note: Cooked on Tuesday. The children wouldn't eat it. Fortunately there were lots of leftovers (that's sarcasm). Froze to serve in a few weeks. Had about 5 extra servings. Husband wants more sausage next time.
Thursday: Roasted Chicken with Carrots, Onions and Potatoes from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Follow Up Note: Cooked on Wednesday. Used extra vegetables. Served Thursday night for children. I always forget it takes 1.5 hrs to cook. Whoops. 20 minutes prep, started at 5:30. Must remember next time that I need to start prep at 4 if I want to serve it at 6.
Friday: Indian Rice with Tomatoes and Spinach (p. 176 The Detox Cookbook)
Follow Up Note: This was DELICIOUS - everyone in my family ate some of it. Very quick to make (10 min prep, 30 cooking). I added a few teaspoons of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. I used fresh tomatoes, as per the recipe, and it's a great meal to make to use up super ripe tomatoes (though they don't have to be super ripe - it's just that when they're past salad or sandwich ripeness it's harder to find uses for them). This recipe could be more cookie cutter by using a can of diced tomatoes and frozen spinach.

Saturday: Bean Salad with Tuna and Red Onion (p. 158 The Detox Cookbook) Saved!!! Got an invite to dinner at a friends house! We are OUTTA Here! :-)


Sunday: No idea. Again. I'm thinking "leftovers."




Further Inspiration:
Looking for more menu planning ideas? Check out "Meal Plan Monday" on OrgJunkie.com.


Some of the recipes come from these sources, all of which I find inspiring and have simple, relatively quick, very healthy and diverse recipes:


The Brokeass Gourmet


The Detox Cookbook (don't follow the "program" outlined - it's aggravatingly complex, but the recipes are great)


The Barefoot Contessa (not exactly healthy... somewhat fattening, but will teach you how to roast like nobody's business)


You On a Diet (every recipe I've tried has been delicious and easy)



 Info on Who I Feed:


Our family consists of myself, my husband, our preschool daughter and toddler son. Everyone has different food preferences. I love onions, garlic and peppers and flavors like stir-fries. I'm not fond of meat, but eat it sparingly. I don't ever eat pork (no, not even bacon), lamb, rabbit or veal. I love carbs. My husband is directly opposite - no garlic, onions or peppers, lots of meat. Our children fall in the range between us. 


I try to be budget-minded and healthful, but some weeks are easier than others. Every now and then I get on a diet type of kick. I'm going to label each week's meal plan according to the overall healthfulness of it. 


At the end of the week, I will make notes about whether or not we stuck to the plan, adaptations and how the meal went over.

No comments:

Post a Comment